This was my second time around reading Plato and I must say that this selection was a bit easier to grasp than what was assigned so long ago in World Lit. What stood out to me the most was just how much literature Plato wanted to get rid of. Of course, with the fact that I have been completely against any kind of censorship since way back in my high school years, and with what has been going on with internet censorship recently, I shouldn't be too surprised with this grabbing my attention. So I'm sure that I missed a lot of what Plato was trying to get across because of all the distractions that I was facing with this whole censorship nonsense.
What I found that I did enjoy was the allegorical cave. This was my second time reading about this and I went a lot deeper in thought this time around. During class Logan had mention some movie that followed this same position on how humans see the world and I believe it was Vince that brought up The Matrix. This is some deep stuff. I wondered what I would do if I were in the position to where I learned how the world is really operating. Would I be like the dashing Fox Mulder and the hard nosed, and thorn in the Soylent Corporation's side, Robert Thorn(great name BTW), risking my life to find the truth and spread the word to all the people. Or could I possibly turn my back on the world like Krycek and the Cigarette Smoking Man? Maybe I would just simply go mad and be that crazy guy that all the kids make up horror stories about. I'm pretty sure I'd be dashing and Mulder-esque, but a body just can't be too sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment